Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)

Couple receiving free tax preparation services.Contents (click to jump to a section)

During the Tax Season, (February – April 2017) the VITA program offers free tax help to people who generally make $50,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Our IRS certified VITA volunteers provide basic income tax return services without charge, ensuring 100% of the tax refund goes directly to the customer.  

When tax season arrives, volunteers with UWCT’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program dedicate themselves to preparing hundreds of tax returns for Central Texas residents in need.  With the help of many community partners, these IRS-certified volunteers return over a million dollars to our community and save our co-workers, neighbors, and friends hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax preparation fees.

In addition to VITA, the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors. The IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.

Click here for more info: VITA Information Flyer (español) | 2017 VITA Location Flyer

Becoming a VITA Volunteer

VITA Program LogoUnited Way of Central Texas volunteers prepare tax returns free of charge for low-income families all across Central Texas. A 16-hour training course is provided for anyone interested in learning to be a Tax Preparer at the beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. Volunteers are also needed to serve as Greeters at the tax site. No formal training or skills are needed to be a greeter. We also need Interpreters onsite to help translate to non-English speaking clients.

Click here for more information: Become a VITA volunteer or call/email our office: 254-778-8616 or VITA@uwct.org


File for an Extension

The deadline to file an extension of time to file your individual tax return is April 18th, 2017.
For more information on how to file an extension, please visit www.IRS.gov or click HERE

IRS Free File

Free File is where you can prepare and file your federal individual income tax return for free using tax preparation-and-filing software.
Click HERE for more info, or visit www.IRS.gov 


VITA sites are closed for 2017.
2017 VITA Flyer

To Qualify: Household income of $50,000 a year or less.
Must bring the following documents:

  • Photo ID
  • Social Security card and/or ITIN card
    • For you, your spouse, and all dependents
  • W-2s for all 2016 jobs
  • 1095-(A, B, or C)
    • Proof of health insurance

If applicable:

  • Copy of last year’s Federal Tax return
    • For year 2015
  • 1099-G
    • Unemployment insurance benefits
  • 1099-INT
    • Bank interest
  • 1098-T
    • Gambling winnings
  • 1098-E
    • Interest on a student loan
  • Notice 1319
    • Advance child credit
  • 1099-MISC
  • Void check/savings account (optional)
  • Statement with bank routing numbers (optional)
  • If you are married filling jointly, your spouse needs to be present at the appointment 

Frequently Asked Questions


Is the service free?
Yes. The service is free; no hidden fees or costs!

Who will complete the return?
Our VITA volunteers are IRS certified. Each site has an  on-location site coordinator who performs a quality review check for accuracy prior to a return being filed.

How long does it take to get my refund?
If you file electronically and choose to have your refund deposited directly into your checking or savings account, you can expect your refund to take 5 to 14 days. If you decide to have a check mailed to you, it will take a bit longer.
Check the status of your refund online at Where's My Refund?

Can I receive my refund by direct deposit?
Yes. If you are eligible for a refund, you can arrange to have your refund deposited directly into your account. Bring a voided check or the routing number and account number.

Can I receive  my refund by mail instead of direct deposit?
Yes. If you are eligible for a refund, your volunteer will ask you for your current mailing address. 

back to top